Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Horsing Around

Speaking as a fan of documentaries, I have a deep appreciation for what has been a sort of renaissance for documentarians. I love documentaries -- their diversity, their adventurousness, the curiosity and fearlessness they exhibit in introducing moviegoers to new worlds and new ways of thinking.

Then I came across a recent New York Times story about a new documentary titled Zoo. The flick chronicles the real-life case of Kenneth Pinyan, a 45-year-old Boeing engineer who died after complications arising from sex with a horse. A native of Washington state, Pinyan died of a perforated colon. 'Nuff said. Or would that be Neigh said?

Zoo's co-writer, Claude Mudede, told the Times that he and collaborator Robinson Devor looked at the case of Pinyan -- whose Internet handle was "Mr. Hands" -- and his horse-humping friends and resolved to "revive their humanity":

"Zoo strives to liberate Mr. Hands from his posthumous fate as tabloid punch line. It allows the friends of the dead man a means for disclosure and dares to find, in their candid accounts of their desires and the hidden worlds where they were fulfilled, something strangely beautiful and even recognizable.

“'It was fascinating that there was a community of close friends, that there were basic human interactions happening alongside things that seemed completely alien,' Mr. Mudede said. Zoo minimizes its freak show aspect by emphasizing the coexistence of the mundane and the bizarre ... What emerges here is a sad, even tender portrait of a group of men who met from time to time at a farm, where they would drink slushy cocktails, watch some television and repair to the barn to have sex with horses."

An endeavor to "revive their humanity," huh? You don't say. Seriously?

Let's not beat around the bush: Pinyan fucked a horse. And if you'll forgive the candidness, the guy died from a perforated colon -- which is to say he didn't merely fuck a horse, he evidently went to the trouble of horseplay foreplay, working Mr. Ed into a libidinous lather for the purpose of then, er, umm ... taking the horse.

My contention is this: Yes, there was obviously a humanity to Kenneth Pinyan. He had a family; he had friends; he likely told a good joke and probably donated to Jerry's Kids.

But, surely, not everyone's humanity necessarily calls for revival. This was animal abuse, after all (there is no evidence the farm fling was consensual). I have not seen Zoo, I will admit, and so I'm relying on the Times story as an accurate representation of the film. But it strikes me that a movie about horse-diddling that strives for "something strangely beautiful and even recognizable" is missing the filmmakers' own humanity.

16 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Animal abuse?!

The horse was probably ASKING for it… prancing around the stable in a cotton sundress... “accidentally” falling in the trough and emerging soaked… seductively munching on an apple, as the juice runs down his long, muscular neck…

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see your horse and raise you: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1116061deer1.html

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A human life is lost and everybody makes jokes. This man was beyond help and the world is probably better off without him. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you horse fuckers or should I say "fuckees"
Some things are just beyond my comprehension. Did you hear about the twin brothers that one brother had his arm amputated and gave it to his twin? He had his brother's severed arm surgically attached to his chest and now he has three arms, while his twin brother only has one. I wonder if they do horses? This shit's too weird for me!

 
At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Dog beds said...

I have seen many documentaries about things I do not support or do not agree, but they are much better than this one.

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous directory submission service said...

In all these there are several documentaries which can be support or do not agree with having so many things which can be possible.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Home Security Houston said...

Very grateful to this website, I downloaded a lot of and learned a lot, I hope you will continue to work hard, I would often visit here.

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Los Angeles Home Security said...

It's an interesting approach. I commonly see unexceptional views on the subject but yours it's written in a pretty unusual fashion. Surely, I will revisit your website for additional info.

 
At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Atlanta Alarm Companies said...

Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.Aluminium toolboxes Melbourne ... It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us

 
At 12:55 AM, Anonymous Dallas Alarm Companies said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Los Angeles Alarm Companies said...

Your blog is outrageous! I mean, Ive never been so entertained by anything in my life! Your vids are excellent for this. I mean, how did you manage to find something that matches your style of writing so well? Im genuinely happy I started reading this these days. Youve got a follower in me for sure!

 
At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Home Security Atlanta said...

It's quite hard to find a good website. And I am very satisfied to have come here. The publications are doing great and full of good insights. I would be glad to keep on coming back here to check for a new update.

 
At 4:24 AM, Anonymous San Francisco Alarm Companies said...

Wow! Your blog has quite a few comments. How did you get so many bloggers to view your article I'm jealous! I'm still getting to know all about posting information on the internet. I'm going to view pages on your blog to get a better idea how to achieve success. Thanks for the help!

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous home security Dallas said...

Was bit sad to know about Mr. Hands but life is still a life and joking around can be fun but disturbing. Watched the documentary...

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous home security Houston said...

Life is fun but when lost it takes a beating on the heart who care for you. Sex with a horse ... hialrious part of this documentary.

 
At 4:16 AM, Anonymous fort worth, texas home security said...

Sex with a horse...must have tried a better option. If that 45 year old died after sex with a horse was evident.

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Thomsan said...

Very interesting details you have noted, thanks for putting up.
Academic Writing Service

 

Post a Comment

<< Home