Friday, April 06, 2007

Return of the Grindhouse

I was not born a movie geek. It came gradually, with careful nurturing at Saturday matinee double-features (at the long-since-defunct Will Rogers and May Theaters in Oklahoma City) and the instruction of others. Back in my high school days, I had a brother in law, since deceased, who schooled me in the world of exploitation pictures: slasher movies, no-budget sci-fi, sex-starved girls-in-prison flicks, biker pics, blaxploitation, hot-rod car chases and on and on.

It was, in a word, paradise.

I immersed myself in them all, with a number of them -- Dawn of the Dead, Death Race 2000, The Green Slime, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blood Feast, Last House on the Left, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls -- becoming as much a part of my formative years as Winnie the Pooh and sneaking peeks at my best friend's father's stash of Playboys. Some of the movies were classics of trash aesthetics; most were not. But almost all were masterpieces of the visceral, bristling with energy, enthusiasm and gloriously driven by matters of the Id.

Often made by people whose talents were outmatched by their imaginations, the exploitation movies I gorged myself on during that period instilled in me a deep and abiding love of cinema, both good and bad.

Somewhere in movie heaven, if there is such a place, that dear departed brother in law, whom I'll call Mitch, must be beaming with the release of Grindhouse, the Robert Rodriguez/Quentin Tarantino homage to those trash epics of yesteryear.

Even if you haven't seen Grindhouse by this time (and if you haven't, get thee to a multiplex post haste), you probably know the essentials about it. It's a double feature; Rodriguez directs the zombies flick Planet Terror, while Tarantino helms the car chase/serial killer gem, Death Proof. Between the two, there is a slate of wonderful ersatz movie trailers (Don't and Thanksgiving are particular standouts, so hilariously rude you might just lose control of your bladder before all is said and done) and an advertisement for a very dicey restaurant. And throughout this three hour, 12-minute extravaganza, there is unbridled gore, violence, car crashes, rock 'n' roll and insanely hot women.

It is wickedly funny, wickedly gross and just plain wicked. Planet Terror is a kit and caboodle of bad taste that runs the gamut from a go-go dancer with a machine-gun filling in for a prosthetic leg (an iconic, salacious turn by Rose McGowan) to a villain who collects the testicles of his enemies. The more refined of the double-feature, Death Proof, sports an ace performance from Kurt Russell, genuine chills and a car chase worthy of the greatest such scenes in movie history (which, in my book, includes The French Connection, Bullitt, Diva and To Live and Die in L.A.).

But it's the overall vibe of Grindhouse, its singular experience, that makes it such an irresistible, pulpy buzz.

It is celluloid Jägermeister without the boo-face.

It is a hot fudge sundae heaped on the bare midriff of a Vegas showgirl.

It is a piñata burgeoning with narcotics and condoms.

And I can't wait to see it again. Thank you, Quentin and Robert. And thank you, Mitch.

18 Comments:

At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to have you back, Chase. I had pretty much given up CTTC; a person can only take so many left-wing tirades, ya know. World events are important, but so are movie reviews and stories about bestiality...

 
At 11:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also glad to see some more entertainment opinions in the mix; CTTC's frequent iconoclasm in this area always interests me and often gives me something to think about.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on Death Proof and Terror Planet, but laughing at sociopath Eli Roth's Thanksgiving trailer?

(SPOILER ALERT)

It features a young woman being raped/impaled on a knife and a killer sexually assaulting a corpse that has been cooked like a Thanksgiving turkey, in front of a terrorized family, including at least one child.

Sure, the "joke" is supposed to be in just how over the top Roth's trailer is, but given the sadism and misogyny of the full-length obscenities he's inflicted on the world, I think his work is less about nudge-nudge, wink-wink homage to a favorite genre of film and more about his own pathology. Which, it seems, will continue to be paraded in front of us as long as it makes someone some money.

 
At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the sexy girl,good sites,welcome you to entry硬盘数据恢复 上海数据恢复 raid 数据恢复 数据恢复 硬盘数据恢复 数据库修复 备份软件have a good time

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous movie scary said...

cool post chase

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous scary clips said...

sweet flick

 
At 4:06 AM, Anonymous r4 said...

She is revered by Indian tribes, and kidnap and bring researchers back to Germany. There he discovers that she can be heir to a fortune, being the long lost daughter of a shipping magnate! Marion Michael soon realizes that life outside the forest is so treacherous, and longs to return home.
r4

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous wood dash kits said...

Often ends would not be reached, then it would be a crap shoot when to make the exchange. Sunday, we showed the Mexican films, and many of them were very fragile and broke easily. I spent a lot of time to make splices Sunday morning and after the theater closed.

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous dressers chests said...

I think this film is presented as one of the best examples of films in cinema history. Completely unforgettable. A masterpiece.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous RedTube Fan said...

That was two real cool movies. I like them every time.

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Vu+ Duo said...

Its good to see Kurt Russel in a Moview with some voluptuous women

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous anthonymorrison said...

These both are really one of the cool movies. I really like them every time these is one of the master piece.

 
At 7:21 AM, Anonymous furniture removals said...

Intriguing stuff you write about. Thinking of publishing any new feeds to your blog ?

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous genf20 review said...

Thanks for the marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading it, you can be a great author.I will make sure to bookmark your blog and may come back someday. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great job, have a nice day!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i can munch a lot of grapefruit in a couple of minutes, that is really my favorite fruit., fucked up jokes

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I’d should consult with you here. Which isn’t some thing I do! I quite like reading a post that can make people think. Also, appreciate your allowing me to comment! Ramadan Prayer

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

polo shirts are very casual and stylish indeed, most of the time i use polo shirts* Easter Captions

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You were quite interesting.. But sadly I didnrrrt accept them much :/ Although I might disagree I still support you as how confident you are on your writing lol Good Friday Images

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I’d should consult with you here. Which isn’t some thing I do! I quite like reading a post that can make people think. Also, appreciate your allowing me to comment! Mothers Day Essay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home